Friends of Sussex Hospices is a charity run entirely by volunteers. We raise funds, through a variety of activities, to support the running costs of the 12 hospice care providers serving the adults and children in Sussex.
FSH aims to complement hospices’ individual fundraising. We encourage everyone to support their local hospice in the first instance.
FSH is not an umbrella organisation nor is it involved with managing or running the hospices we support. We work alongside them, promoting awareness of the invaluable services they provide to our communities.
We have 19 Patrons, 13 Trustees, 37 Fundraising Committee members and more than 80 members of the annually convened Summer Event Committee.
- FSH has a deserved reputation for well-organised fundraising events
- The charity started with a Christmas Fair in 1995 to raise money to help build the Martlets Hospice in Hove
- From this it grew to support all hospices serving the people of East Sussex and Brighton & Hove and in 2001 became a registered charity as Friends of East Sussex Hospices
- In 2012 it expanded to become Sussex-wide, encompassing an additional two hospices and one care-at-home provider for children with life-threatening or terminal illnesses
- It has to date distributed over £2.1 million
- Distribution is based on the episodes of care delivered to residents of Sussex.