Friends of Sussex Hospices is a registered charity run entirely by volunteers. It raises funds, through a variety of activities, to support the running costs of the ten hospices and two care-at-home providers that serve the people of Sussex.
FSH does not wish to dilute the individual fund-raising efforts of any of our hospices and we encourage everyone in the first instance to do all they can to support their local hospice. FSH does not represent the hospices in any way and does not share any responsibility for their management but we do work alongside them, promoting awareness of the invaluable services they provide to our communities.
We have 17 Patrons, 13 Trustees, 34 Fundraising Committee members and 80+ members of the annually convened Summer Event Committee.
- FSH has a deserved reputation for delivering well-organised fund-raising events
- The charity started with a Christmas Fair in 1995 to raise money to help build the Martlets Hospice in Hove
- From this it grew to include all the hospices serving the people of East Sussex and Brighton & Hove and in 2001 it became a registered charity (as Friends of East Sussex Hospices)
- In 2012 it grew again to become Sussex-wide, encompassing an additional two hospices and one care-at-home provider for children with life-threatening or terminal illnesses
- It has to date distributed over £1.3 million to the hospices it supports
- Distribution is based on the episodes of care delivered to the residents of Sussex