1-4. Hidden towns and villages of Sussex – give one answer for each. You are solving for a village or town name. EXAMPLE: A portable crucifix. CROSS IN HAND
- A female horse’s home MARESFIELD
- Wide and wet BROADWATER
- What you do after a good performance CLAPHAM
- Arsenal 1 Chelsea 4 WINCHELSEA
5. Generally used in the cooking of lamb, which herb is known as the herb of remembrance?
mint b) rosemary c) thyme d) parsley
6. Which vegetable gave Popeye his incredible strength?
lettuce b) spinach c) kale d) chard
7. Where in Sussex did audiences first pay to see films in 1911?
a) Brighton Pavilion b) Electric Theatre, Worthing c) Duke of York’s, Brighton d) The Capitol, Horsham
8. What is the main flavouring in a Sauce Soubise?
a) onion b) tomato c) parsley d) dill
9. Florence is an Italian city on which river?
a) Tevere b) Adige c) Arno d) Po
10. The Women’s England Hockey League Premier Division is made up of the eleven top field hockey teams in the country. Which West Sussex town is home to Sussex’s only participant?
a) East Grinstead b) Crawley c) Chichester d) Worthing
11. Brighton and Hove Albion are currently enjoying their fourth successive season in the Premier League. Of the previous three seasons in the top flight, what has been their highest finish in the table?
a) 14th b) 15th c) 16th d) 17th
12. Monkton at West Dean, West Sussex was inherited in 1932 by the art collector, poet and supporter of Surrealism:
a) Salvador Dali b) Stephen Spender c) Edward James d) Roland Penrose
13. Which year did the television show Pointless debut on BBC?
a) 2008 b) 2009 c) 2010 d) 2011
14. Sussex and England pace bowler Jofra Archer was named as one of Wisden’s Cricketers of the Year in April 2020, in part for his performance during the 2019 Cricket World Cup. In that tournament, how many wickets did he take?
a) 12 b) 15 c) 18 d) 20
15. Charles Dickens’s A Christmas Carol was first published in:
a) 1840 b) 1843 c) 1848 d) 1850
16. To date, the former Yugoslavia has become how many new universally recognized countries since its disintegration in 1992?
a) 5 b) 6 c) 7 d) 8 (Kosovo is not fully recognized yet.)
17. The 250th Anniversary of the birth of which composer was celebrated in 2020?
Mozart b) Beethoven c) Vivaldi d) Brahms
18. The Queen Elizabeth II Bridge is a bridge across the Thames at the Dartford Crossing. There are 3 other Queen Elizabeth II bridges, all but one are in the UK. Where is that one?
a) Canada b) British Virgin Islands c) New Zealand d) Bermuda
19. The Sussex Emerald is:
a butterfly b) a moth c) a field orchid d) a downland grass
20. Of the individual care provided by Sussex hospices, the majority is provided in the patient’s home.
a) True b) False
21. The study of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena and how they are influenced by seasonal variations is a)phrenology b) phenology c) zoology d) philology